Bored of having eggs for breakfast? Switch things up with this souffle omelette. Eating this is like biting into a light, fluffy, cheesy cloud. The extra few minutes it takes to whip the egg whites separately are so worth it!
Prep Time 50 mins
Cooking Time 10 mins
Sauté the mushrooms and ham
- Heat up a nonstick skillet over low heat. Add sliced mushrooms to skillet and toast them without oil, undisturbed, for 1-2 minutes or until they start to shrink a little.
- Add 1/2 tsp butter, diced ham and garlic powder to the mushrooms and stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-low and sauté mushrooms until golden brown. Turn off the heat and set aside.
Make the omelette
- Separate eggs - put egg yolks in a large bowl and egg whites in a large mixing bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to the egg whites.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add half the egg whites to the yolks and gently fold to combine using a spatula. Once combined, gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Heat up 1/2 tsp butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add egg mixture and spread it out evenly with a spatula. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 5 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and the top is starting to set. Scatter cheese, sautéed mushrooms and ham on top. Cover and let cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and carefully fold omelette over itself, using your spatula. Carefully slide omelette onto serving plate. Top with chopped chives and cracked pepper and serve immediately.
- Feel free to substitute the mushrooms and ham or add other toppings of choice!
- Be gentle when folding the egg whites into the yolks and cook the omelette quickly after mixing, otherwise the whites will deflate.
- Take care not to overcook the omelette otherwise it will turn out dry as we are not using much butter/ fat in this recipe. The omelette is done as soon as the top is starting to set and the bottom is golden brown.
- This dish does not keep well as the omelette will deflate overtime, so don’t make excess and eat immediately!