This delicious vegan rainbow lasagna is the prettiest pasta dish you’ll ever make! It’s packed with layers of wholesome, colorful veggies. Don’t be intimidated by the seemingly complicated steps - you can prepare the layers in advance to save time, and the recipe makes a big batch so it’s well worth the effort!
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 80 mins
Spinach ricotta layer
Prepare the vegetables
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Roughly chop onion, beetroot and pumpkin. Transfer everything and cloves of garlic to a large baking tray. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss until everything is evenly coated. Keep the different vegetables separate for easy separation later on. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until pumpkin and onion are tender.
Make the spinach ricotta layer
- Meanwhile, make the spinach ricotta layer. Place baby spinach in a microwave-safe container. Cook in a microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted. Let cool slightly, then cut up the spinach a little using kitchen scissors. Stir in vegan ricotta and mix until combined. Season to taste with salt. Set aside.
Make the tomato layer
- Once the vegetables are done baking, remove from heat. Transfer half the onion and 2 cloves roasted garlic to a large nonstick skillet. Add the rest of the ingredients for the tomato layer. Simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until thickened to pasta sauce consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
Make the beetroot layer
- Add the roasted beetroots and the rest of the onion to a food processor. Process until smooth (or leave it slightly chunky if you prefer more texture). Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
Make the pumpkin layer
- Add the roasted pumpkin, 2 cloves roasted garlic, peanut butter, nutmeg and water to a food processor. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
- In a large, deep baking dish, spread half of the tomato sauce at the bottom. Add a layer of lasagna sheets.
- Spread all the pumpkin mixture on top of the lasagna sheets. Add another layer of lasagna sheets.
- Spread all the spinach ricotta mixture on top of the lasagna sheets. Add another layer of lasagna sheets.
- Spread all the beetroot mixture on top of the lasagna sheets. Add another layer of lasagna sheets.
- Spread half of the rest of the tomato sauce on top of the lasagna sheets. Add another layer of lasagna sheets.
- Spread the rest of the tomato sauce on top and top with shredded vegan cheese.
- Pour a little bit of hot water into the four corners of the baking dish. This will help keep the the lasagna moist.
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cut into slices. Enjoy!
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- To save time, feel free to prepare all the different layers ahead of time, keep them in separate containers in the fridge, and just assemble right before baking!
- For convenience, you can use your favorite store-bought pasta sauce for the tomato layer instead of making it from scratch.