Who says oatmeal has to be sweet? If you’ve never had savory oatmeal before, you need to try this! Topped with sautéed garlic mushrooms and a poached egg, this warming bowl of oats is sure to earn a spot in your breakfast rotation.
Prep Time 2 mins
Cooking Time 5 mins
- Heat up a nonstick skillet over low heat. Add sliced mushrooms to skillet and toast them without oil, undisturbed, for 1-2 minutes or until they start to shrink a little.
- Add oil, salt and garlic powder to the mushrooms and stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-low and sauté mushrooms until golden brown. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place all ingredients for the oats in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir to combine. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove oats from the microwave. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Top oats with mushrooms, poached egg, chopped chives and chilli flakes. Enjoy!
- Feel free to use vegetable stock or chicken stock instead of water to cook the oats for an extra boost of flavor.
- Feel free to switch up the seasonings and toppings! Some other ideas for toppings are: poached chicken, fried egg, cheese, corn, avocado, spinach, sweet potato, fried shallots, seaweed, furikake, nutritional yeast, etc!