Nutritious & delicious healthy vegan tofu buddha bowl, made with a lower calorie ginger sesame sauce. Prepare the ingredients in advance and you can throw them together quickly on a busy day!
Prep Time 15 mins
Cooking Time 25 mins
Ginger sesame sauce
- Press your tofu (if you didn't purchase pressed tofu), then cut up your tofu to your desired shape.
- Marinate pressed tofu with tofu marinade except for oil.
- Place in fridge to marinate for a couple of hours. If you want your tofu to be extra tasty, then marinate it overnight.
Prep the ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 210°C / 410°F.
- Dice squash into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower florets from the stalk, removing any leaves. You may need to half or quarter some larger florets so that they are all of a similar size. If you only purchased florets you can skip this step.
- Coat your marinaded tofu with some oil. If you want to, you can also drizzle some oil onto the vegetables as well.
- Place your diced squash, broccoli & cauliflower florets, mini bell peppers and tofu in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Roast vegetables and tofu in the oven for 15 mins.
- Then flip the tofu and roast for another 10 mins.
- Take the vegetables out of the oven when it's cooked to your desired liking.
- While vegetables and tofu roast, cut your avocado into slices and set aside.
Make the sauce:
- While vegetables and tofu roast, add all sauce ingredients (except water) to a mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Slowly add water and whisk until creamy and smooth. You can add more water if you wish to.
- Taste and adjust to your preference. Add more soy sauce or aminos sauce if you prefer.
Assemble the bowl:
- Put all the cooked vegetables and tofu in a bowl.
- Add some pea shoots, avocado slices, sesame seeds and drizzle sauce on top!
- Kabocha is quite dense so it will keep you full for longer. But if you want more carbs, you can add brown rice, or quinoa to your bowl.
- Use vegetables you enjoy most.
- This ginger sesame sauce is lower in calories than normal tahini sauce, but it is more grainy due to its lower fat content.
- To press tofu, wrap the block of tofu in a clean tea towel then put it on a large plate. Then put a a small board on top and weigh it down with pans or heavy items and leave it for at least 30 mins. Then you can proceed to cutting it up and marinating it!
- I used Carwari sesame flour in this recipe.