Your classic comfort food healthified! This super creamy and cheesy vegan mac and cheese made with cashew and nutritional yeast trumps the boxed version both in terms of taste and nutritional value. It's so yummy!
Prep Time 15 mins
Cooking Time 20 mins
- Chop broccoli into florets, and dice onion, carrot and potato.
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet, and cook onion over medium heat until translucent.
- Add carrot, potato, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt to skillet and cook, stirring to mix as appropriate, for 1 minute.
- Add cashew, miso paste and water to skillet. Turn down heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add more water if needed.
- Meanwhile, boil a pot of water and cook pasta according to instructions on packet. Add broccoli to pot about 3 minutes before pasta is done. Drain and transfer to serving bowls.
- Pour everything from the skillet into a blender and add nutritional yeast, mustard and vinegar. Blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to reach the consistency you like.
- Pour sauce into serving bowls and stir until well combined with pasta. Top with more smoked paprika or pepper if desired.
- Substitute broccoli for any vegetables you like.
- Have this as a main meal or as a side with some vegetables and proteins such as beans or chicken.
- Top with toasted bread crumbs for some extra texture.